IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP


JSen jensenn at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 4 04:39:19 EST 2002

Beetie at webtv.net (Bea Cowan) wrote in message news:<21947-3DE408DC-4632 at storefull-2355.public.lawson.webtv.net>...
> Hello my name is Beatrice Cowan. I suffer from severe hearing loss
> coupled with intense sensitivity to noise. I have tried a variety of
> hearing aids, none of which have truly helped me. My grandson is helping
> me research this issue and thus has led me to this listserv. I am trying
> to explore resources other than the ones i have been using to date. Some
> of the hearing aids i have used to date are: starkey, siemens, rexton,
> odicon and donovox. The donovox helped me to hear better but i had no
> control over the volume. I am 84 years old and my hearing loss
> apparently is hereditary. I am based in Hollywood Florida. If you have
> any feedback or doctor recommendations please do not hesitate to get
> back to me at this email address, or please email my grandson Spencer at
> hsy at mac.com .
> I've been through so many hearing aids at this point that I'm eally just
> looking for help and guidance.
> Thanks in advance,

Dear Beatrice,

Sounds like you have a reduced dynamic range and a hearing problem
coupled together. You have tried many hearing aids but have you seen
an audiologist? An audiolgist is one who not only presecribes hearing
aids but does aural rehabilitation as well. Hearing aids are not like
spectacles where you juut put them on and they become clear. You need
a period to adjust to it. Aural rehabilitation sessions would help you
adjust to the hearing aids.

If your hearing loss is into the severe region you may want to
consider fitting a digital hearing aid like Claro from Phonak or the
Canta7 from GN Resound. They have an additional fitting program that
does loudness scaling. This ensures that your intolorence to noise
would be looked into when fitting a hearing aid.

If your hearing has fallen into the profound hearing region. You may
want to consider a cochlear implant.

Hope you would find an audiologist and have your hearing helped. You
can visit www.HealthyHearing.com for a list of audiologist.

Have a good day
Jen Sen

More information about the Audiolog mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net