Amplified Stethoscope

DZAPALA at aol.com DZAPALA at aol.com
Tue Feb 8 03:22:36 EST 2000

Angela:

I've had some experience with this. From what I can tell, the frequencies
having the most importance for auscultation of most body sounds is < 125 Hz.
High frequencies are not important to hear body sounds, but are a problem
when low frequency hearing is poor (poor figure ground I think).   Thus, a
person can have a modest (25 dB loss) in the audiometric lows, and have a
more moderate loss below 125 Hz - and be functionally impaired using a
stethoscope.  To my knowledge, there are no norms for this - Maybe some out
there knows something more?

David Zapala

In a message dated 2/6/00 11:09:22 AM Central Standard Time, EARTODAY at aol.com
writes:

> Has anyone ever seen a description or analysis of the sounds typically
>  listened to via a stethoscope?  What is the frequency content and
intensity
>  of these sounds?  I am often at a loss in counselling physicians and
nurses
>  about how their particular hearing losses interact with the sounds they
>  typically must listen to and use for diagnostic purposes.  Wonder about
this

>  as a liability issue also - when do we inform  health practitioner that
> given
>  their losses, certain stethoscope tasks should not be performed for the
>  safety of the patient?  Angela Loavenbruck

---