Help - Hyperacusis/recruitment test?

Steve bad_ears at my-deja.com
Wed May 26 20:36:38 EST 1999

I'm having an audiogram performed tomorrow and was told at my first one,
three years ago, that in addition to permanent tinnitus that I also have
recruitment. I've grown quite sensitive to most sudden changes in volume
of all frequencies.

I'd like to ask the audiologist to perform a test for hyperacusis. Could
someone please tell me what is involved to perform that test, and should
every acredited audiologist know how to perform it? Also, are the tests
reliable, or is it a gray are in interpreting results.

Thanks in advance.
Steve