High Frequency Hearing Aid

Doggett Sheryl sdoggett at f1n06.kent.edu
Mon Jul 12 11:38:48 EST 1999

I have not had good results fitting patients with this type of hearing
loss with any type of hearing aid.  However, perhaps some strategic repair
strategies would be in order.

For example, where to sit in noisy, difficult situations for best
lighting, best lipreading, least amount of noise, etc.  Also, teaching
communication repair strategies, i.e., what to say in order to get the
most correct feedback when something has not been understood.

In order for the patient to get a better understanding of conditions that
are difficult for everyone, a little observing of others at those
difficult situations may ease the patient's concerns about the amount of
communication difficulty, vis a vis others in the same listening
situation.

Best Wishes,

Sheryl Doggett

 Jeffrey Sirianni (audioman at hctc.net) wrote:
: I saw a patient today with severe high frequency hearing loss, but normal
: through low and middle frequencies (250-2000 Hz = 5-15 dB HL; 3000 Hz and
: above 70-90 dB HL).  Most cases like this (that I have seen) do not really
: want hearing aids and I've struggled with those having minimum motivation
: with such a loss.  This patient seen today is motivated to hear better in
: noise and I think he would do well with a high frequency emphasis BTE,
: although picking out there is fairly slim.  Can anyone suggest a
: manufacturer & model that has worked well for such a patient.

: Thanks,

: Jeff

:
: ***************************************************
: * Jeffrey Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A, FAAA             *
: * Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.               *
: * Guy Griggs Professional Building                *
: * 710 Water Street / Suite 404                    *
: * Kerrville, TX  78028                            *
: * (830) 896-1433                                  *
: * (800) 672-4321                                  *
: * (830) 896-1440 FAX                              *
: * audioman at hctc.net                               *
: * Discussion Leader of bionet.audiology Newsgroup *

sdoggett at .kent.edu