High Frequency Hearing Aid

EARTODAY at aol.com EARTODAY at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 17:38:42 EST 1999

I have not had positive experiences fitting hearing aids on patients with
this type of audiogram.  First of all, generally the situations in which
difficulty is reported occur relatively infrequently and a hearing aid is an
expensive and cumbersome product to use for such narrow purposes.  Some type
of ALD may be better.  Secondly it is virtually impossible to amplify above
3K without amplifying below it, or plugging the ear in some way - a too open
mold on a BTE generally results in feedback when you approach enough gain.
And third, I'm not sure what the research says, but often individuals with
this type of loss blame the loss for difficulty in noise, when in fact, even
individuals with normal hearing throughout would have difficulty.  As in, the
patient who says, my hearing aids did not help me hear people talking at the
wedding I went to (the one where there were 250 people and a band playing
that could be heard in Ireland) - When you have normal hearing, and you don't
hear in a situation like this one, you know it is the situation causing the
problem - individuals with hearing loss sometimes blame their hearing loss,
when the situation is difficult for everyone.  Angela Loavenbruck