Contra reflexes--2nd Correction

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at hctc.net
Wed Jan 20 12:45:24 EST 1999

hjg <hgould at mocha.memphis.edu> wrote:

>Just for sport and to argue words I believe elicit is correct.

>Elicit: To draw or bring out or forth Webster's College Dictionary
>1992 Random House

>However, the intent is clear the reflex in the standard is
>always referred to by the stimulus ear therefore Right Ipsi
>is stimulus right/probe right and Right Contra is Stimulus
>right probe left.

I agree here....

OK, then based on the definition of "elicited", and the standard "contra
reflex" definition, ANSI S3.39-1987 should read:

section 5.28 Contralateral reflex: the middle-ear muscle reflex that is
elicited in the ear contralateral to the ear to which the reflex is
detected.....

RATHER THAN

section 5.28 Contralateral reflex: the middle-ear muscle reflex that is
elicited in the ear contralateral to the stimulus ear......