tinnitus

michael_forrest michael_forrest at lineone.net
Fri Feb 6 01:18:51 EST 1998

Wilder Mayhall <wildermayhall at juno.com> wrote in article
<19980204.163603.3662.1.wildermayhall at juno.com>...
> We had a patient at our office this week mention a new therapy for
> tinnitus.  She said that she saw this on one of the national morning
> programs.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this??  According to the program, it was
> highly effective in alleviating some if not all tinnitus.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Wilder Mayhall, M.S., CCC-A
> Birmingham Otology Center

Yes. This seems to be generating a great deal of interest at present. I'm
not an expert on this topic!! but it seems to make a lot of sense. Was
discussed at European Commission "Protection against Noise" conference in
London, April 97.
Dr Jon Hazell at RNID (UK) has produced some very helpful material on this,
if memory serves it's available on the Net.
Basically, the old idea that tinnitus was invariably cochlear in origin,
and always associated with cochlear pathology, seems to have been revised!
(like many of our ideas on hearing function over the last decade or so);
certainly cochlear pathology can produce tinnitus but it can also arise in
the absence of cochlear pathology.

Mike Forrest