Widex Senso Pricing

Douglas Wood woodd at DGABBY.MFLDCLIN.EDU
Tue Sep 16 12:04:54 EST 1997

With all due respect to hearing aid consumers, why should it surprise you that you can
buy a Danish made hearing aid cheaper in Denmark?  If I travel to certain Pacific Rim
countries, I know that I can purchase high end electronic equipment at a fraction of
what it would cost in the US. The only problem is that when I consider my total
travel expenses, tariffs, duties, and VAT, I will have spent a good deal more.

If you did travel to Denmark, stayed in the lush cottage, and purchased the aids
offered in the ad, you would undoubtedly spend a whole lot more. Once you
added in airfare, meals, miscellaneous expenses AND THEN the duties and VAT.
Then when you had a routine question or required reprogramming, you could simply
fly back to Copenhagen, have an espresso while they adjust your aids, and mabey
stay in that cottage again. WOW. Just think, a trip to Denmark each time your hearing
aids needed adjustment.

Everything is less expensive in the country of origin, and of course citizens of those
countries can take advantage of that. Implications that those aids should be similarly
priced abroad is unrealistic. Consumers are free to shop around and purchase where-
ever and whenever they find the best deal for them.

In addition, Denmark also utilizes a socialized form of health care, and that is a
marked departure from the US. Yes, hearing aids might be purchased at a
reduced cost in those countries.  But when you discuss the so-called *rationing* of
US healthcare, remember that in most countries with government run healthcare,
basic services often require incredibly lengthy wait times-even in the case of
necessary surgeries. There are some advantages & disadvantages to both
systems-but from the time I lived in Britain and utilized the National Health Service,
I'll take the US healthcare delivery system-despite free hearing aids in Britain.

Doug