The most important thing

gandalf at infi.net gandalf at infi.net
Fri Oct 31 19:29:49 EST 1997

 >We tell all of our students in this ENT setting that audiometrics is now and
>always will be the single most important function that you will do no matter
>were you do it.  If you do not do the most accurate and reliable audiometrics
>than your credibility for all the rest of what you do will not be very good.
>I personally salute all of the hard working Audiologists in ENT settings for
>a job well done and for the training of the many students that "they" do.

>Don Hansen, M.S.
>Audiologist
>Marshfield WI

There will always be room in the profession for technicians and people who
want to work for physicians. I doubt that that is the most important thing
that an audiologist can do. As a private practitioner, I have several thousand
people who rely on my judgment, expertise and knowledge to guide them in their
pursuit of better communication through amplification and counsel. To me, that
is a higher calling than testing. It requires commitment and self reliance.
There is no fall back position to those who risk their livelihood every day to
serve the needs of others. If I do not do my job well and in a manner that is
helpful to my patients, then I will fail. It has not happened in eleven years,
though. I am "my audiologist" to thousands of people, but not to a physician.
I respect and admire physicians, I just don't wish to work for one.

Michael Ridenhour