Dr. Competent

Donald Hansen hansenda at DGABBY.MFLDCLIN.EDU
Fri Oct 31 11:25:38 EST 1997

}]mCl#Please Confirm[{
     I hope that students of Audiology do not get the impression they would be "over qualified" in training if they just "sit in an ENTs office and perform diagnostic tests all day."  I can tell you that these tests always have been and still remain a cornerstone of our profession.  Given hearing aids, outcome measures, vestibular testing, rehab, CAPD, ABR, OAE, etc. little of this has full meaning without valid and reliable audiometric evaluation.  Some of the hardest work you will ever do throughout you Audiology career will be basic comprehensive audiometric testing.  If you feel meaningful outcome measures may seem vague than what about the least reliable test in audiometrics-bone conduction testing.  Do not forget pediatric assessments, geriatric assessments, functional assessments, etc.

     All of what an Audiologist must do is important each in and by itself.   We tell all of our students in this ENT setting that audiometrics is now and always will be the single most important function that you will do no matter were you do it.  If you do not do the most accurate and reliable audiometrics than your credibility for all the rest of what you do will not be very good.  I personally salute all of the hard working Audiologists in ENT settings for a job well done and for the training of the many students that "they" do.

Don Hansen, M.S.
Audiologist
Marshfield WI