Medicaid/Title XIX

HearWHAC hearwhac at netins.net
Fri Oct 10 20:43:24 EST 1997

RSiegel663 wrote regarding Title XIX pricing:

> In NJ the policy is single unit cost plus a dispensing fee.
> This helps the remove the "bottom of the barrel"problem

In a number of states (not Iowa) the state purchases the hearing aids
direct from certain manufacturers. This eliminates the problem we have
in Iowa of the state regs requiring the dispenser to submit his/her
"acquisition cost" instead of the fictitious (phony) "invoiced price"
furnished by some manufacturers. (Some of our dispensers are violating
the regs - thus, making an extra profit.) I would prefer to see the
state purchase the hearing aids direct at their price and then pay the
dispenser more with the money they save.

Several years ago the state of New York clamped down on the above
practice and more than 200 dispensers were caught over-charging the
state.

Paul Woodard ;-)