Digital Hearing Aid Vs Analog

Paul D Dybala dybala at utdallas.edu
Sat Oct 4 15:04:12 EST 1997

G. M. Alf (gmalf19 at gte.net) wrote:
> A properly designed analog filter will generate very little
> distortion.  Filters in analog aids are generally found before the
> power output section.

> Mike

My understanding is that in analog hearing aids it very difficult
to get a well designed filter becuase of the limitation of
battery drain.  Killion refers to some circuits as
starved class A circuits becuase the circuits work great if you
give them enough drain, but then the battery will have a
life of about one hour!  So the quality of the circuit is
degraded to get a longer battery life.

It is my understanding then that you can perform better filtering
and more complex processing without excess battery drain
so therefore the digital filtering will be better that
the filtering in previous analog hearing aids.

Comparing analog to digital becomes relative when we start
to compare hearing aids to hearing aids and not stereos to hearing aids.

--
Thank you for your support,
Paul Dybala
dybala at utdallas.edu