Presidential Hearing Aid

Susan M Lopez lopezs at musc.edu
Sat Oct 4 10:55:57 EST 1997

The lead story in this morning's local paper had to do with Clinton's new
aids....

In my local newspaper, the president of IHS, Robin L. Holm, was
paraphrased (incorrectly?)--this is what the paper printed:

	Holm said the modern, all-in-the-ear digital hearing aids, such as
	the ones Clinton is expected to use, automatically filter out
	background noise while amplifying nearby conversation.  Such
	devices, she said, cost up to $2,000.

Anybody care to take a stab at interpreting this for me?  Am I wrong to
think this is a pretty mis-leading statement for John Q. Public?  Does
anyone think that maybe she was incorrectly paraphrased?

Additionally, the article said that Clinton would wear the aids only on
"selected occasions" such as parties (my paraphrasing).  Am I wrong to
think this is the wrong way to counsel patients?  Everything I was ever
taught emphasised that patients should wear their aids as much as possible
to acclimatize themselves (and their brains) to the amplified sounds.
I have always told my patients that its better NOT to run out and wear
their new aids in a noisy party before they've had a chance to get used to
them.  Ideas?  Inputs? Thanks!

Susan