Digital Hearing Aid Vs Analog

Guy Bonneau guy.bonneau at MATROX.COM
Fri Oct 3 08:04:06 EST 1997

>the senso is far more than hype and being wowed. Its the only aid on the
>market that is fully digital (no bandpass filters like some that claim
digital) hence no >distortion, and that means vastly improved
discrimination (like no more say whats!).

I have been wearing low grade analog hearing aid since 20 years. Now I am
thinking to go fully digital with some hesitation because my hearing loss
is rather severe. I know about 3 brands. Senso from Widex. DigiFocus from
Oticon. Philips recently introduced the D72 (C72?). I do not have any
specifications of those hearing aids.

I would like to have more feedback from users of those hearing aids. Those
who made the jump from analog to digital and those with severe hearing loss
who tried them. Also since I am an Electronic Engineer and have I master
degree in Biomedical Engineering I would appreciate any technical
information which could help me to make up my mind.

I have mixed feeling about the bandpass filters stuff. From a theoritical
point of view bandpass filtering is a must to overcome frequency aliasing
before any A/D conversion and then digital processing.

Any Hearing Aid Designers comments would be welcomed.

 Guy Bonneau,
 Senior Software Engineer,             Email : Guy.Bonneau at matrox.com
 Video Products Group                  voice : (514) 685-7230 X-2718
 Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd         fax   : (514) 685-7030
                                       WWW   : http://www.matrox.com

 Head Office :                          US Mail :
 1055 St-Regis, Dorval, Qc              Trimex Building, 2330 Route 11
 CANADA   H9P 2T4                       Mooers N.Y. 12958-0219

 God be gracious to us and bless us,
 And cause His face to shine upon us
 That Thy way may be known on the earth,
 Thy salvation among all nations.