Speech discrim after correction of conductive hearing loss

gandalf at infi.net gandalf at infi.net
Thu Oct 2 09:27:14 EST 1997

>>If discrim is WNL at a resonable volume, and nothing
>>else is going on, this man seems to be in need of some counseling rather
>>than a hearing aid.  :
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>> I recently saw a 36 year old man who had a maximum conductive >>hearing
>>> loss (near as I can tell from what he told me) from early childhood.
>>> Two years ago he had an operation which corrected this, and now his >>air
>> >conduction thresholds are within normal limits (15 or better, in fact.)
>> >Hearing has always been excellent at the other ear.  His complaint was
>> >that whenever he isolates this ear, he can't hear words, for example
>> >when he's on the telephone or when someone whispers in that ear.  His
>> >speech testing in the booth is normal (SRT agrees with pure tones, >>word
>>> recognition is 92%.)  Does anyone know of any ways of "strengthening"
>> >that ear?  I have some ideas, and I was wondering what other
>> >audiologists might suggest.   (I thought about having him get a WIDEX
>> >SENSO for that ear, but Canada is too far away!)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>The keywords are "since early childhood".  Sensory processing is
>heavily dependent on learning.  Now the new experience of hearing
>is an interaction between the repaired ear and the old ear.  Most
>likely the interaction is creating a main gaussian oscillon processing
>area that is discrepant from the historical area.

"The main gaussian oscillon processing area." Hmmmmm. I must have missed that
in neuro-anatomy class. Please explain what it is you are describing here.
Also please enlighten me as to what the "historical area" is. (I think my
gaussian oscillon is acting up again).

Michael

  New
neuro paths are>being formed and the old ones are dieing off from lack of use.
 In this >case I suppect that the ear that was repaired was the right
>ear and the old ear was the left ear.  The two different hemispheres
>process information differently.  While I have never read it in the
>literature, I would suppect that the left ear would specialize in low
>frequency data, and the right in high frequency data.

There may be a reason why you never read this in the literature....it isn't so.

  When the brain
>could specialize, it did so with unpleasant consequence.   The lost
>of a previous skill.  The whole process of degradation
>may be linked to now forming opponent filters which will ultimately form
>a normal hearing system.  But in this case, a superior system relative to
>the normal is being destroyed.

>Now to the question.  If the above is true what do you do.
>The suggestion was a hearing aid which would increase the relative
>neuro firing strength which would increase the relative opponent
>firing strenght of the repaired ear.   So I believe this may be a good
>choice under the circumstances.

>By the way this is not pure speculation and only my opinion.
>Ron Blue

Can you explain the meaning of the phrase" non sequitur"?