Reduced Speech Discrimination Despite "Normal Hearing after Surge

Jesudas J. Dayalan DSJESUDA at BCSC02.GOV.BC.CA
Wed Oct 1 19:28:21 EST 1997

To: AUDIOLOG--INTERNET audiolog at net.bio.n

ry".

Hello Susan, Michael, Kimberly and others:

What was reported is an interesting fact. I am sure all of us are aware of
reduced speech discrimination in subjects with sensorineural hearing loss. I
would urge you to read Journal of American Audiology Volume 4, Number 5. This
was a special issue on Auditory deprivation.In case if you have not read it.

Just like the sensorineural ears, ears with conductive hearing loss can also
show auditory deprivation. I believe who ever posted that note has opened an
interesting discussion. I have a child here who has unilateral congenital
conductive hearing loss. Over the years her conductive hearing loss has
increased in it's air bone gap and at the same time her/his speech
discrimination has gradually become worse. We have fit this child with hearing
aid and we are observing some improvement in her word recognition.

I also believe the readers might have read an interesting article by
Wilmington et al (1994) Hearing Research, 74, pp99-114. This article mentions
that despite good surgery no patient experienced normal performance in all
aspects of binaural processing. They reported results on subjects with
unilateral conductive loss and their corrective surgery.

Therefore, what this client has shown is that although he can hear tones at 15
dBHL across, he has not yet regained (I am an optimist) his ability to underst
and words. I would very much like to know how long this patient had hearing
loss and details. Will that audiologist contact me?

Interesting stuff.

dayalan

NIHU, 1444 Edmonton Street, Prince George, BC, V2M 6W5 Canada
Tel: 250-565-7399                           Fax: 250-565-7386