Cerumen Removal

PeachyII peachyii at aol.com
Tue May 27 12:34:40 EST 1997

role in cerumen removal. I work in the V.A. system where cerumen
removal can be done by a qualified audiologist. I do not love to remove
cerumen or anything, but I feel it is an integral part of our job. I
feel that audiologists should be able to remove cerumen if necessary,
with the backing of medical professionals should an emergency arise.
I've encountered a little resistance from this point, not only by other
professionals outside the field, but within as well. I realize that
many states do not allow this legally, but what are your thoughts on
the issue?
Mike

i spent some time at a VA hospital and did quite a bit of cerumen removal
there.  as a result, i feel quite comfortable in removing all but the
deepest blockage.  however, at my hospital we are not allowed to touch
cerumen due to turf issues with the resident ENT's.  this is a constant
frustration to me because when i have a patient with a blockage i am
required to test them anyway and then re-test after they've had their
cerumen removed.  this makes NO sense to me -- especially since i could
deal with the problem, myself, in just a few minutes and get more accurate
audiological results the first time.

susan moreland

tinnitus faq: http://www.ccc.edu/faq/tinnitus.html
hyperacusis network: http://www.visi.com/~minuet/hearing/hyperacusis/hacusis.html