Cerumen Removal

mike heardoc1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 26 17:58:44 EST 1997

Just thought I'd ask the other audiolgists what they thought of our
role in cerumen removal. I work in the V.A. system where cerumen
removal can be done by a qualified audiologist. I do not love to remove
cerumen or anything, but I feel it is an integral part of our job. I
feel that audiologists should be able to remove cerumen if necessary,
with the backing of medical professionals should an emergency arise.
I've encountered a little resistance from this point, not only by other
professionals outside the field, but within as well. I realize that
many states do not allow this legally, but what are your thoughts on
the issue?
Mike