Seeking professional competence...

Henry Eisenson ops at introtech.com
Sun May 11 03:57:57 EST 1997

I'm an engineer with a good technical audio/acoustics (not hearing aid)
background. As the result of a @)(*&#@!! shooting range incident two
months ago, I'm down ~65dB at 500Hz in my right ear, but only ~20dB at
3kHz. My left ear is down ~40dB at most important frequencies. Frequency
vs. amplitude curves are very irregular, which seems to demand
equalization as well as amplification.

A friend whose publishing business does a lot of speech/hearing and
audiology gave me a few books to read, which probably made me dangerous.

I've tried an inexpensive (Price Club) aid with very poor subjective
results, so went to what I thought was the programmable best: Oticon's
Digifocus, and a fine audiology resource (by reputation and training).
My plan was to get the right ear fixed and then do the left...

Two weeks of "tuning" now -- and to my right ear human speech is still
quack-like. If this is going to "work" within California's trial period
-- fine. If not, I'm out $2,800. But the facility doing the "tuning" has
been having trouble with Oticon's latest software revision.

Since the issue is so subjective, I worry that my expectations might be
unreasonable. On the other hand, even WITH the aid I do poorly in noisy
environments, and still cannot use my right ear on the telephone.

You're all professionals with no particular ax to grind.... can you give
me some guidance?

Henry Eisenson
INTROTECH
6336 Greenwich Drive