testing hearing aids

Zipjack zip at jack.com
Mon Jun 30 17:09:48 EST 1997

orgenm at juno.com wrote:

>I've been trying out a pair of starkey sequel cic's for a few weeks.
>Sometimes they seem to work OK, but sometimes they don't seem to be
>working at all.  Would it be appropriate (or would it help) to have a
>hearing test with the aids in my ears, in order to try to objectively
>determine what, if any, change in my hearing is effected by the aids?

On your next visit to the office where you bought the instruments, ask
if they will do "Real Ear" (an electro-acoustic analysis of your ear
canal unaided and aided), and even some "soundfield" testing.
It could be that there is an obstruction in the reciever, or sound
tube of the hearing aids, so make sure they are clean, and the
batteries are correctly palced, etc.
Also, in the summeritime, aids sometimes short out, or give
inconsistent performance due to excessive moisture in the air, and in
your ear canal. Ask for a "dri-aid" jar, if you don't allready have
one.

Kate