testing hearing aids

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Thu Jun 26 22:32:42 EST 1997

orgenm at juno.com writes:

>I've been trying out a pair of starkey sequel cic's for a few weeks.
>Sometimes they seem to work OK, but sometimes they don't seem to be
>working at all. Would it be appropriate (or would it help) to have a
>hearing test with the aids in my ears, in order to try to objectively
>determine what, if any, change in my hearing is effected by the aids?

One nice thing about CIC's is that functional testing can be performed
for each each using headphones.  I use this method to show a patient
how much benefit they are receiving at each frequency for each ear.  If
you are unsure of the benefits you are getting with these devices, ask
your audiologist of dispenser to measure functional gain with the aids
on using headphones.