Dix-Hallpike procedure

Tom Boismier boismier at umich.edu
Thu Jun 26 07:57:08 EST 1997

Stoosh wrote:

> 92533 - is used; no recording is done. Four irrigations must occur; a
> warm and cold irrigation for both the right and left ear.

This is a procedure code reimbursed to physicians who do calorics with
visual observation as part of an office visit. Non-physicians doing this
procedure as part of a vestibular test battery won't get paid for it in
most states.

> 92543 - is used if you use ENG recordings to detect any difference
> between the nystagmus of the right side and the left side. Four
> irrigations are required.

Actually, in many states the code will reimburse the same amount no
matter how many irrigations you do. In some states, you can charge
seperately for each individual irrigation.

> If you use 4 additional electrodes to measure vertical and rotary
> nystagmus, use code 92547 IN ADDITION to 92543.

Ummm, you cannot measure torsional nystagmus using EOG electrodes, no
matter how many you use... ;) If you want to measure torsional
nystagmus, you'll need to use video or search coil techniques.

--
Thomas E. Boismier, MPH <boismier at nospam.umich.edu>
Associate Director, Vestibular Testing Center

[Remove "nospam." from the above address to email me]