Bulemia & Hearing Loss

Oregon7 oregon7 at aol.com
Sat Aug 30 22:19:54 EST 1997

It occurs to me that individuals who vomit repeatedly introduce stomach
acids in their pharyngeal cavity.  This has been associated with increased
loss of enamel from the teeth, and I don't see why it couldn't negatively
affect the opening of the eustachian tube, or even eject material into the
middle ear space via the forced regurgitation.  I suppose that repeated
middle ear problems could be responsible for some sort of migration into
the cochlea, as it often found in chronic otitius media sufferers....as a
SN HF hearing loss.

Maybe this makes sense to others....I might add that frequent vomiting
also upsets the electrolyte balances of the body which I suppose could
affect fluids in the inner ear, too.  Interesting question....

Marsha Johnson, M.S., CCC-A