What They Didn't Tell Me In Grad School (formerly " Are Audiologists Generous?" )

gandalf at aud.org gandalf at aud.org
Fri Aug 22 04:34:34 EST 1997

In my post I inadvertently used the name Beltone. I did not notice my mistake
until rereading it today. The Beltone Corporation has done more for the
hearing impaired over the years than any other single source of hearing aid
help. Many audiologists are proud Beltone representatives, and make important
contributions to our chosen field. I apologize for not rereading my post
before sending it. My respect for Beltone is such that I offered to buy a
local Beltone dealership several years ago, so that I could be a part of this
fine organization. It wasn't for sale, though. But I can still hope it will be
available at some point.

I also appreciate many things Paul writes. This particular one, though, hit me
at a time in which I was feeling a bit fractious. Paul, I hope you will accept
my apology. E-mail is so new to me, that the impact of it, due to its usual
brevity, is not taken into account when writing. I should read posts before
hitting the send button. I tend to forget that many consumers read this group,
who do not know of the internecine squabbles we hearing aid folk engage in. A
person who finds a trustworthy audiologist or dispenser, will find, in 99% of
the case, a capable and well trained individual. Until the advent of
university programs which deal with hearing aid sales as a business, the only
source of competent knowledge of running a business dispensing hearing aids
came from Beltone and a very few others. A dispenser or audiologist without a
business sense will not be around in 4 or 5 years to help a consumer when the
hearing aid begins to wear out. Beltone has carried the torch for many years.
They are to be congratulated for their service to the hearing impaired.

So is Paul.

Mike