Audiologist confuse me - Which Aid for me?

Brad Whitney whitneyb at erols.com
Thu Aug 21 13:59:37 EST 1997

In article <19970821031101.XAA05888 at ladder02.news.aol.com>, oregon7 at aol.com
says...

>Rather than focus on the hearing aid questions, which I am sure many other
>on the newsgroup will, I am more interested in the etiology of your
>hearing loss, which is markedly assymetrical.....
>
>Please fill us in.  There are reasons why such a difference between ears
>is of concern.
>
>Marsha Johnson, M.S., CCC-A

Dear Marsha,

I have been examined three times over the last 13 years by an ENT and
all three times the disparity in my ears has been an issue; the ENTs
examine me closely.  So far, they have found nothing.  The only thing
left to do was have an MRI, but all three ENTs involved decided the MRI
was not necessary.

I have 2 possible explainations I offer:

1) I was in the Navy for 8 years, 4 on the flightline.  The
Auxuillary Power Unit (a small jet engine used to power the
aircraft while on the ground) of the P3 aircraft was located
such that my left ear would be when approaching the aircraft.
I sometimes would get stuck on the flightline without hearing
protection if I was just making a quick dash to an aircraft.
(I know, I was stupid)

2)  While I was in high school I was operating the spotlight
during a school play.  During one performance a fault in the
intercom system we used for cues resulted in a VERY, VERY loud
feedback squeel in my headphones, which was only on my left
ear.  I could not hear out of that ear for several hours.
My high school buddy, also on the intercom that evening 30 years
ago, also suffers from a similar assymetric loss.

Thank you for your concern and taking the time to respond to my post.

Brad H. Whitney