sudden snhl from food allergy

gandalf at infi.net gandalf at infi.net
Tue Aug 19 16:58:49 EST 1997

Kimberley,
I had a similar experience about 15 years ago. I won a beautiful legs contest
at church Youth Group (the curtain only showed the knees down. All the kids
thought my feet were the pastor's). My prize was a humongous chocolate bar,
which I ate in front of the kids, with great relish.
The next morning I had a 70 dB HFSN hypacusis in the left ear, accompanied by
loud tinnitus and reduced discrim. After about a week, it cleared up, leaving
only a slight permanent loss. It scared me to death! I am now subject to the
occasional decrease, not accompanied by vertigo or nausea, but nothing as
dramatic as that first occurance. The local ENTs felt it was allergic in
origin, so I have avoided chocolate since. (What a curse.)
The etiology is, apparently, a spasm of the basilar artery in the cochlea,
similar to that occuring in migraine.

Mike