sudden snhl from food allergy

Kimberly Skinner kskinner at in-con.com
Tue Aug 19 10:35:37 EST 1997

I am an audiologist in my second year of practice.  Recently I evaluated
a man in his forties who had a sudden hearing loss in both ears as an
allergic reaction to chocolate.  He said he knew he was allergic to
chocolate, but had never had such a severe reaction before.  He
described his symptoms as his ears 'closed up.'  This was about a month
and a half ago, and the symptoms remain in only one ear (left.)  His
records indicate that he was assumed to have Eustachian tube
dysfunction, however, when I tested his hearing it was definitely a
sensorineural hearing loss.  The other ear, which showed a mild high
frequency snhl (he admitted to having such a hearing loss prior to the
sudden hearing loss) was extrememly hypersensitive, which he said was
new.

I have learned some interesting facts by doing a Medline search.
Anybody have any ideas or similar experiences?  I am trying to find out
as much as I can for my own information; in addition, this patient is
desperate for more information about his hearing loss!

Thanks!

Kimberly