Are Audiologists Ethnocentric?

Zipjack zip at jack.com
Fri Aug 15 21:29:51 EST 1997

"Sandra and Dan Hobson" <danhobson at netins.net> wrote:

>As to CFY's needing to be taken wing that's all fine and good ...but when I
>talk to  some and they are demanding 30K, plus benefits and vacation etc.
>to start. Being self-employed I can't guarantee that... show me that you
>can earn it by closing the sale, and doing what it takes in private
>practice.  I have heard of others turning down a position in a small ENT
>practice because they don't want to do any "grunt" work of learning to fill
>in and doing what it takes for a small business to survive.
>
>Growing up on a farm I learnt that if you see something needing to be done,
>do it.  Pitch in and work as a team.  Which is something lacking in the
>graduate work experience in audiology, it's not just testing and reports
>and counseling of patients.  It's also learning how to get paid for one's
>work and finding ways to make it happen.

Sandra, I think all that you said is true.
Many of the people I know who were able to continue working in
Audiology, however, could afford the luxury of doing so.
Its not unreasonable for someone whose taken 20K of student loans to
expect a  salary that will allow financial obligations to be met.
Now that I've returned to Speech, we are finally able to send my
husband back to school, and I am finally able to have my allergy shots
and dental work. Had I remained in Audiology, it would have taken me
years to achieve basic financial goals.
Congratulations to everyone struggling and succeeding in private
practice.

Kate (Happy to be dually certified)