Are Audiologists Generous

RSiegel663 rsiegel663 at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 00:34:37 EST 1997

>I went to a wonderful graduate program (I thought) and received a good
>preparation for my career (I thought).

>When it came to finding a job after I graduated, I was woefully on my
own.

>However, I did not want to stay in that
>state, and I moved to a completely new state for personal reasons.

>  Finally, a WONDERFUL audiologist with a private practice
>had the courtesy to return my letter and a phone call and she put me on
>the trail of a job at a small hospital about an hour away from where I
>wanted to live in this new state.

>The hospital had been contracting for
>audiological services.

>They offered
>30K and full benefits.

>It was horrible.  There were no patients.  No eqipment.  I didn't like my
>supervisor.  The ENT was a great guy, but he only sent me about 3
patients
>a week.  I had been told the hospital wanted to start selling hearing
>aids...turns out, they had no clue the start up costs would be so high to
>do anything "decent" (real ear, impedance, etc.).  They had a booth, and
>audiometer, and me.  I quit after two months.

> The job was completely inappropriate for someone like me,
>fresh out of school.  I had no way of seeing that at the time.  You have
>such a poor idea what you don't know when you graduate....
>

>I now have my CCC-A, and am farther along in my career.  I see a
>tremendous need for better graduate training in terms of helping
>audiologists in school learn better business skills, better savvy on
>closing "the deal" and how to balance that with ethical practice.  This
>whole move to the AuD comes out of these types of needs and other
problems
>with graduate training as it is now, as well as other issues that I won't
>begin to discuss here.
>

>Just my 2 cents....I'm sure there are a zillion stories out there like
>mine.
>
>Susan

Thank you for another voice of experience out of the reality  of the real
world workplace.  I would be more than willing to hire someone like
you.>If I had found any private practice
>audiologist who would've taken me on, I would've jumped at the
opportunity
>to work for $7 an hour just to learn and not be stuck delivering pizzas.

Benifits also add up to more than $7 an hour and can help make a
difference.  Also if you learn and progress, you will make more because
the practice grows too.

Robert B. Siegel M.S. CCC-A, BC-HIS
Family Hearing Centers
2001 Lincoln Dr W.   Suite E