spam

Jeffrey Sirianni audioman at HCTC.NET
Sat Aug 9 13:53:00 EST 1997

At 12:45 PM 8/6/97 PDT, Sallie Frye wrote (via personal email):

>I notice that there isn't any SPAM yet this month on the
>bionet audiology newsgroup.  Is that because you are
>referring it or does it have something to do with the anti
>SPAM action I heard about on NPR?  I personally am starting
>to get SPAM on my own e-mail even though it is our own
>domain.  Today I got something offering to sell me the AOL
>list for a mass mailing.  Anything I can do about it to
>protest this sort of thing?

I have been sending messages back to the "postmaster" of the server which
any spam originates.  I simply tell the postmaster that the spam received
is disruptive to our participants and request the postmaster to restrict
the person sending the spam from continueing to send it to
bionet.audiology.  I also include a copy of the spam message.
Surprisingly, it has seemed to help.

I apologize to anyone in b.a  who truely wants to read all the spam that
has infiltrated the group in the past.  If spam is your interest, get
yourself an AOL account.  My AOL account gets 10+ spams a day.

Jeff

(P.S. Sorry for the delay in replying)