Question on Microphones

RSiegel663 rsiegel663 at aol.com
Wed Aug 6 23:51:42 EST 1997

>Subject: Question on Microphones
>From: audioman at HCTC.NET (Jeffrey Sirianni)
>Date: 4 Aug 1997 22:11:51 -0700
>
>A patient from our office asked me the other day about microphones used
in
>hearing aids.  As he has problems with detection of speech in noise, he
>inquired about Audio Zoom from Phonak, which he will be trying.  He asked
>about parabolic microphones, used for surveillance and such, and wanted
>know why the this technology could not be incorporated into a hearing
aid.
>I know this is a silly question, but could someone with technical
>background in microphones explain how a parabolic microphone works and
what
>are the essential components.
>
>Jeff

>* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A                      *
>* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.               *
>* 710 Water Street / Suite 404                    *
>* Kerrville, TX  78028                            *
>*                                                 *
>* (210) 896-1433                                  *
>* (210) 896-1440 FAX                              *
>*                                                 *
>* audioman at hctc.net                               *
>*                                                 *
>* Discussion Leader of bionet.audiology Newsgroup *

Parabolic mics should give a definate davantage if all people he is
speaking to stand directly in front of the aimed direction of the
gathering dishes. This will work if he attends meetings or social events
held in long narrow hallways or if he talks to people waiting in lines.  A
definate disadvantage is trying to walk in any windy areas.

He could speak with Mickey Mouse as to wind deflection and sailing
manuvers to get around.

The next best thing is the Audio zoom or a remote mic.

;-D}}
Bob

Robert B. Siegel M.S. CCC-A, BC-HIS
Family Hearing Centers