Hearing aids & stethescopes

CTB1954 ctb1954 at aol.com
Fri Sep 27 11:56:41 EST 1996

In article <529jms$5k1$1 at mhade.production.compuserve.com>, c.zelnick
<104247.2050 at CompuServe.COM> writes:

>Subject:	Hearing aids & stethescopes
>From:	c.zelnick <104247.2050 at CompuServe.COM>
>Date:	24 Sep 1996 21:26:52 GMT
>

>Hello, I'm a physician who is just being fit with BTE Resounds for hi
>frequency
>hearing loss.  I am having a devil of a time getting them to work with my
>stethescope- I can't get the stethescope tips to stay or seal into the
vents
>of the earmolds.  Needless to say, it is a major pain to have to take out
the
>aid to do stethoscopy, then put them back in again- so much so, it is
making
>me rethink these things!
>Does anyone have any advice for me about how to use the stethescope with
>behind the ear aid?  Thanks in advance.
>C. Zelnick in Iowa/.

Dr. Zelnick & Bionet.audiology:

Should be easy.  Easier than with an all-in-the-ear aid.  Hopefully,
your aid dispenser made earmolds with enough material in the distal (outer
) end of the ear canal to do one or more of the following:

1.  Have the dispenser drill a "female- half-moon" receptacle in the mold
to receive the plastic or rubber nubs at the end of the stethescope. This
receptacle would be sufficiently below where the tubing enters the canal
part of the mold.  The receptacle would continue as a  vent hole, parallel
to your tubing, traversing the inside the canal part of the mold till the
medial terminus.

2.  If there is insufficient body to the canal part of the mold, remove
the plastic or rubber nubs from your stethescope and have your dispenser
fashion the receptacles in the molds to receive the bare metal tubing.

You proably have parallel vents in your molds (given the configuration of
your loss), so half of the job is done (hopefully).

Kinda surprised that dispenser doesn't know this trick to keep hearing
impaired M.D.'s, R.N.'s & E.M.T.'s happy.  If he/she is uncomfortable
making such modifications to your pre-existing molds, ask him/her to
re-order your molds from the lab, specifying a stethescope parallel vent,
& have him/her make a negative impression of the end of your stethescope
to sent to the ear mold lab.

Good Luck.  Let us know how it turns out.

Craig Barth, M.A., CCC-A
Private Practice
Morristown, NJ
a.k.a. ctb1954 at aol.com