Hearing aids & stethescopes

Colin Bootle colin at cbootle.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 13:55:25 EST 1996

In article <529jms$5k1$1 at mhade.production.compuserve.com>, "c. zelnick"
<104247.2050 at CompuServe.COM> writes

>Hello, I'm a physician who is just being fit with BTE Resounds for hi frequency
>hearing loss.  I am having a devil of a time getting them to work with my
>stethescope- I can't get the stethescope tips to stay or seal into the vents
>of the earmolds.  Needless to say, it is a major pain to have to take out the
>aid to do stethoscopy, then put them back in again- so much so, it is making
>me rethink these things!
>Does anyone have any advice for me about how to use the stethescope with a
>behind the ear aid?  Thanks in advance.
>C. Zelnick in Iowa/.

You don't want to know that with my CIC's, I routinely wear in-the-ear
headphones! Sounds great. They're Siemens K-amp CIC's ('Cosmea'). Like
you, I've got a high frequency moderate loss.

By trying to get the tips of the stephescope into the vents of the
earmolds, obviously you won't be getting any additional amplification.
Is the sound level sufficient? Being an electronics engineer, we often
use silcone tubing for covering components (for insulation) - it comes
in various diameters and can be stretched quite a bit. It should be
possible to stretch some over the stethescope tips (or the stethescope
tubes with the tips removed) and then at the other end over some
narrower tubing (perhaps earmold tubing) which may be able to fit into
your earmold vents. Ask any electronics engineer - the stuff's cheap
(about a penny per inch) and comes in various garish colors.

a stolen 'sig' to enjoy!

           __\|/_
          (      )
         ( (/oo\) )
           ( \/ )      wwwwww                   /__\
          (      )   w"ww  ww"w                | oo |   _WWWWW_
  Elmo    Big Bird     Oscar      Cookie        Bert      Ernie     Kermit