Question about Philips Aids

Ivo Merks ivo at dutnak3
Fri Sep 20 03:15:30 EST 1996

Allan Port (aport at USER1.CHANNEL1.COM) wrote:
: I am a hearing aid user who has worn hearing aids since age 6.  My loss is
: fairly significant (70 db in the upper frequencies of the voice range).

: In the past, I have been frustrated by my inability to hear in noisy
: situations

: in a moving car
: in a crowded room
: on a busy street
: in a room with a lot of things going on

: In quiet settings, I would get good amplification and sound quality from
: almost any hearing aid that I tried.  I expected the industry to benefit
: from the tremendous advances going on in signal processing and
: micro-electronics, but it seemed that most of the development effort was
: going into making smaller and smaller hearing aids.  Call this the vanity
: factor.
The problem is that you have to distinguish between wanted and unwanted
signals and that is not trivial.
: My most recent set of aids is a welcome change.  Philips 56 aids with a
: separate hand held IR remote control.  I get a choice of programs plus
: telephone control and volume control on the remote.  With these aids, I am
: able to hear in all but the noisiest conditions.  I have discussed this with
: other hearing aid users and do not feel I could exist without a volume
: control and program choice... I understand the newer ITE and smaller aids
: often offer the user no controls at all.

: My question is:  Is this a digital aid or an analog device with digital
: controls?  What degree of sophistication is built in?  Could I do even
: better with one of the advanced models being discussed in the
: bionet.audiology newsgroup?
As far as I know are all Philips Hearing Instruments analog devices with
digital controls. There are hearing aids on the market which attenuate
background noise by using multi-microphone techniques. For example Phonak's
Pics with so called Audio Zoom. Many hearing instrument manufacturers,
including Philips, are working on such solutions.
You could use them at social events like parties etc, but not on a busy
street, where background noise could be coming from an approaching car...

: Can anyone suggest equivalents in another brand?  My only complaint about
: the Philips is that the IR controls react to other transient (noisy)
: light... for example, neon signs in a store, police emergency lights, and
: even noisy fluorescent lights.  The hearing aid settings don't change but
: they respond, as if to say, "I don't understand that command".  It would be
: nice to be able to turn off the IR receiver in such surroundings.

: Thanks in advance.... Allan

Maybe you want to talk to Philips directly on WWW. Here's the address:
http://www.philips.com/cgi-bin/fb

Good luck.
Ivo Merks