TMJ & Tinnitus

dybala at utdallas.edu dybala at utdallas.edu
Thu Sep 19 08:32:38 EST 1996

John Wiggs (jwiggs at sunflowr.usd.edu) wrote:
> Can TMJ cause Tinn.?  If so, Can the TMJ be treated non-evasively to
> diminish the effects of Tinn.? Can impacted wisdom teeth cause Tinn.?
> I have heard of instances of these two pathologies as being a source for
> Tinn.  Is it all bunk?

No one is really sure what _causes_ tinnitus.  It is true that a number
of conditions can cause it to become worse, everything from
stress, certian medications, and diseases.

I would say that the impacted teeth would not _cause_ tinnitus,
(T is due to something abnormal in the auditory system) but
the stress and or pain from is could cause already existing tinnitus
to become worse.

I would definitely say your TMJ and Wisteeth need to be treated
by a dentist and then see how the T is. If it is still
driving you crazy you would want to be checked out by
a physician.

Good luck.
--
Thank you for your support,