TMJ & Tinnitus

Julian Hoogstra julian_hoogstra at mindlink.bc.ca
Wed Sep 18 18:59:57 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SUN.3.94.960917224140.17665A-100000 at sunbird> John Wiggs <jwiggs at sunflowr.usd.edu> writes:
>From: John Wiggs <jwiggs at sunflowr.usd.edu>
>Subject: TMJ & Tinnitus
>Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 22:47:17 -0500

>Can TMJ cause Tinn.?  If so, Can the TMJ be treated non-evasively to
>diminish the effects of Tinn.? Can impacted wisdom teeth cause Tinn.?
>I have heard of instances of these two pathologies as being a source for
>Tinn.  Is it all bunk?

John, these topics surface quite regularly in alt.support.tinnitus and they
are extremely complex and not well understood.  I personally suffer from
bilateral tinnitus at 10KHz at about 20db which I can increase to about 60db
by stressing muscles in my jaw, or even just by raising and lowering my head.
Is this a TMJ dysfunction?  I don't know.  I've had an MRI scan of both TMJs
and I'm apparently normal in that regard.  But there is obviously some
connection between the muscles and connective tissue outside my skull and what
I hear inside my skull!

Moreover, I'm far from being alone.  According to Dr. Bob Johnson of the
Oregon Hearing Research Center, when I asked him last year, approximately 23%
of the Center's tinnitus patients reported a change in the perceived volume of
their tinnitus when altering the position of their jaws.

There are also a LOT of anecdotal reports of tinnitus having its onset or
increasing in loudness related to wisdom tooth problems or surgery.

Regards,

Julian Hoogstra

http://www.cccd.edu/faq/tinnitus.html    (Frequently Asked Questions)
http://www.ohsu.edu/ohrc/ohrc.html      (Oregon Hearing Research Center)