Hearing loss & airbags

Elizabeth E. Kadlec ekadlec at coe.uga.edu
Tue Sep 17 14:09:31 EST 1996

On 16 Sep 1996, Dana Oviatt wrote:

> Has anyone heard of airbags causing noise-induced hearing loss during a
> motor-vehicle accident?  I did a search of the published literature and
> came up with absolutely nothing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dana L. Oviatt

I had a 70 year old patient who experienced reduced hearing following an
accident involving an airbag.  The loss was only subjective as documented
from her hearing loss history.  She was also examined by an ENT who
agreed that there was no actual cochlear damage as a result of the accident.

Beth Kadlec