hearing follow up

SSimp10496 ssimp10496 at aol.com
Thu Sep 12 10:03:16 EST 1996

Dave, I'd like to put my $.2 since in if you don't mind.  Our child's
hospital always tests each baby in the NICU (we don't have an O.B. so bad
babies are shipped) and parents informed before they go home, and given
the date and time of a follow up, which should be done at 6 mo. regardless
of the initial outcome. At the time the parents are told about their
appointment in 6 months, the nurses put it in a way that we have no
choice, it's like not immunizing your child, and they hope that works.
Being that my husband is an audiologist he of course is more attentive to
anything regarding hearing in our child.  Around the month of 4 mo.s
corrected, we started noting ourselves that she wasn't startling anymore,
wouldn't turn and look when she heard a noise or our voices and didn't
know we were in the room if we didn't catch her eye or touch her.  We
relayed this info to Audiology who set up an ABR in conjunction with a
routine test and sure enough she is severely to profoundly deaf and it was
acquired.  Many parents figure if the baby passes in the NI, then there's
no problem with hearing and don't tend to follow up.  The person who loses
on this deal is of, course the child.

We are in the process of having her fitted for hearing aids and she should
have them on by next week.  Could I ask your suggestion for the best
possible aids for her age (1 yr in 2 wks)?  Also the cochlear implant
debate revolves around us at all times, with some people loving and some
hating the device. I'm not convinced either way.  We're hoping the
progression has ceased and she won't need one.  I'm still dealing with
grief over all of this and have connected with a local group, but I want
to read books with then newest literature available.  Do you have any
suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Sharon  (SSimp1044496.AOL.com)