Figure-Ground Deafness

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 11 22:42:22 EST 1996

In article <5156b1$k40 at harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au>,
AJOPA1 at student.monash.edu.au says...

>I am a Second Year Meical Student at Monash University in Melbourne,
>Australia. I am currently doing an assignment on a child with
>figure-ground deafness. I have been reliably informed that this is quite
>a common condition, but none of the audiology textbooks I have consulted
>mention it. I was hoping that someone could send me some solid medical
>info on the pathology of this condition, or at least point me in the
>right direction of other places I may find this detail.

I believe that you are dealing with a child having
a Central Auditory Processing problem.  That being
difficulty understanding speech in the presence of
noise.  If this is what "figure-ground" deafness is
all about...

There are plenty of articles and books on this topic.

Suggestions from the group ??

Jeff