Directionalizing a sound with soundcard & headphones?

Jean-Pierre Fournier ai217 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Sun Oct 27 07:35:09 EST 1996

Hi all,

I am looking for info on directionalizing a sound in
front or behind the listener.  Replies I've received
from alt.sci.physics.acoustics suggest that the
frequency spectrum perceived for a given sound
is different depending on the location of the sound.

If it is true that the frequency spectrum is different
depending on when sounds are in front of you or
behind you, then since we are working with digital
samples, could we achieve this affect by fourier
transforming the sample and "shifting" it?

I guess the trick would be figuring out how to
"shift" it.  If this has been done on cds and such
(as mentioned in another post) there must be a
procedure for it.  You could just precompute
both a "front" sample and a "behind" sample and
choose which to play.

Anyone have any pointers references on to perceived
spectral differences of sounds based on location?

Any thoughts appreciated,

JP