Ambiguity

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Tue Oct 8 09:18:24 EST 1996

On 4 Oct 1996, HARRY R. ERWIN wrote:
> Suppose I have two objects in a scene like so:
>
>                *
>         *
>
> I understand that the bat auditory system is believed to determine
> horizontal and vertical angle independently. Has anyone worked out how the
> following perception is avoided?
>
>         *      *
>         *      *
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Harry Erwin, Internet: herwin at gmu.edu, Web Page: http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin
Harry,
The following may relate to your topic:

Nature 29 August 1996 pg793 - Localized excitations in a vertically
vibrated granular layer by Umbanhowar, Melo, Swinney.

By taking any grandular material and creating a viberation
of two or more oscillations, structures called oscillons are
formed.

These structure are stable across time.

In the activating or positive phase a tower Gaussian like
structure protrudes out of the sand.  In the opponent or negative
phase a hole Gaussian like structure penerates the sand.

The interesting thing is that the smallest number of particle needed
to make the oscillon is 30 grains.  For those who are familar
with statistical procedures, 30 of anything is sufficient to
illustrate a phenomenon consisting of millions.

The fact that the structure has gaussian like structures and
has been formed by interacting wave patterns has significant
implications to consciousness, AI, and quantum effects.

The type of oscillon and phase exist independently of each other.
But a tendency exist to move toward opposite
phases of oscillons creating
a pair.  For example:  oscillons coexisting out of phase with
each other.  This models correlational opponent processing
almost perfectly.

Oscillons can form in ANY oscillating system. Oscillons of opposite
symetry are attracted to each other and form oscillon pairs of reverse
polarity.  Oscillons of similar charge and harmonic repell each other.

Ron Blue