TMJ & Tinnitus

Joan Domenech domenech at medicina.ub.es
Fri Oct 4 12:02:41 EST 1996

Susan Moore wrote:

>  > tinnitus surely could be created as a by product of damage to the cochlea from the
> > vibrations of the drilling anywhere in the skull...the closer to the cochlea the
> > more possibility of damage.  I have not done a lit search myself on this idea.  Has
> > anyone else?  It might be interesting to measure otoacoustic emissions before and
> > after skull surgury to see if there are any changes (i.e. damage) that could also
> > explain an onset of tinnitus after the surgury.

Yes, noise from vibration can damage OHC and IHC in the inner ear. I have
done some work on noise-induced hearing loss, using high-frequency
audiometry instead of otoacoustic emissions. Patients who had some
drilling in their ears for choleateatoma surgery showed a threshold shift
in the highest frequencies, and this could also worsen any tinnitus that
was already present. We intend to repeat the study with OAEs as soon as
the equipment is available, here in the University of Barcelona, Spain.