recruitment and eustachian tube

Steve C steve927 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 28 03:44:12 EST 1996

I tested positive for recruitment in my left ear and just came across
this on Otology Online. On one of my diagnosis sheets is "eustachian
salingitis, chronic".

In light of that, I was wondering if anyone who has hyperacusis or
recruitment has also been told of a problem with their eustachian
tube(s).

Here is the article:

2). Protection - the eustachian tube has been proposed to play a
role in diminishing the potential deleterious effects of a loud sound.
In
addition to the stapedius muscle contracting to reduce the displacement
of the stapes footplate, the tensor tympani muscle may contract reducing
the motion of the tympanic membrane. Moreover, the TVP/DT also may
contract dilating the tube and creating one large cavity with the middle
ear, ET and nasopharynx.