Is Evelyn Glennie for real?

Craig Shrimpton craigs at os.com
Thu Nov 28 13:41:26 EST 1996

Greg,

Thank you for setting the record straight. The 60 Minutes segment did
attempt to portray Evelyn as totally deaf.  That would make her abilities,
particularly her speaking ability, somewhat suspect.  Until the piece I had
never heard of Evelyn but I do know a little about deafness.  People who
are totally deaf would not retain their ability to speak perfectly for so
many years.

It's unfortunate that 60 Minutes decided to go for the hype rather than the
truth.  I always thought they were above that.  It was probably not a
deliberate deception but an over zealous desire to inject a little more
"drama" in the piece.  As many people accept what they see on TV as gospel,
the news media figures most viewers wouldn't catch those types of
discrepancies.

I do recognize now that the claim of total deafness was 60 Minutes claim,
not Evelyn's.

Cheers,

Craig

Greg Malcangi <greg at evelyn.co.uk> wrote in article