Audiologists - Is deafness and perfect speech possible? (Evelyn Glennie on 60 mins.)

w874 at aol.com w874 at aol.com
Sun Nov 24 10:04:54 EST 1996

No, its definitely not fraud. I have seen her on several news programs,
and its truly amazing. The ability for a hard of hearing person to speak
properly has to do with several factors, not which the least is the age
that the person looses their hearing. In her case, age six is adequate to
learn  a great deal of speech. Therefore, even with her deafness, proper
speech can be obtained. It also depends on the therapist, (if there was
one), and how well she responds.

I have a ten year old son who is hearing disabled, and while his speech is
understandable, it is not perfect, but also is not like a deaf person's. I
know some people who have kids with less hearing, but better speech. So, a
lot of variables here.

As far as accent, I agree, for someone who is totally deaf, it must be
difficult, if not impossible to differentiate.

Once someone learns how to speak, as long as they practice it, I don't
think that they would lose it. BTW, how would ASL help speech ? Since it
is a graphical communication medium, I don't see how it would enforce
speech. On the other hand, a method such as cued speech, which is more of
a phoneme based system would seem to encourage the continued use of proper
speech. Just my opinion.

By the way, I am not a audiologist, just a parent of a HD child.

Good luck.
Irv