AFA's AuD

Douglas Wood woodd at DGABBY.MFLDCLIN.EDU
Fri Nov 22 16:17:32 EST 1996

Jeff...
I recently attended a discussion moderated by AFA's founder, Dr. Goldstein.
He was attempting to explain his position and views with respect to the
current situation for audiologists & the future. It seems a few of the recent
postings have been accurate in that the scenario you describe (highly trained
audiologist vs hearing aid hanger) would not allow for both of them to simply
"attain" the AuD for the $750.00. Rather, there is a portfolio review of
education, training, experience, continuing education, etc. that is rather
involved & not one for which Joe Blow, MS/CCC is ever going to pass muster.
Yes, there are audiologists practicing in a variety of ways in a multitude of
settings, not all of which any of us could ever hope to be versed. Yet, the
AFA set about describing what they feel should be included in an AuD's scope
of practice, & it is somewhat lengthy. To think that anyone, even well
trianed, experienced audiologists, will simply complete the forms & get an
AuD for the asking is absurd. At least according to Goldstein, the review
process will not be an easy thing for anyone. Deficiencies noted after
initial review will need be corrected in order to be awarded the AuD. The way
I understand it, many deficiencies will require attending university based
courses or attaining substantially greater experience, etc.

My own opinion notwithstanding, it is highly unlikely that there will ever be
anyone awarded an AuD that is not well trained, nor experienced in all manner
of audiologic practice; the very nature of the review process would seem to
preclude the scenario you describe.

Also...We do tend to be a rather judgemental group. When you look at another
audiologist and see someone who does not do what you do, nor attend the
continuing ed. YOU think is required, nor contribute in ways that YOU
recognize--please let's not trip over ourselves in a rush to judgement.
Each of us has unique circumstances, training, family life, work setting,
professional needs & desires, etc that will necessarily drive the types of
professional activities we do. I have learned after several years and
positions that all is not always as it seems. In other words, let's give the
benefit of the doubt to our collegues out there rather than find ways to
criticize or belittle them.

Thanks...
Doug