AFA's Au.D.

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Sun Nov 10 02:11:37 EST 1996

Mike writes regarding the AuD:
>a useful degree for 750.00 is not a bad deal//My wife has a useless MA/CCA
>that she bought for way more than that.

At one time, and possibly they still do, Columbia Pacific "University"
offered a Ph.D. degree in any field and to anybody by mail for $2,800. We
had an audiologist in Iowa buy the diploma maybe ten years ago. He used the
designation, "Dr.," one time and then learned he could not use it. Most
states have a provision written into their code (law) that nobody can use
the title "Doctor" unless it has been approved by the legislature and placed
into state law. Genuine "Doctors" don't seem to like others using this term
unless it has been "earned."

I'm sure there are a number of audiologists anxious to see if $750 will buy
a "Doctor" title. Sounds good to me.

Paul ;-)