AIT Mechanism; Aging/noise damage

L&S L&S at helping-hands.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 7 16:57:11 EST 1996

In article <Pine.PMDF.3.91.961105170629.289461911A-
100000 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz>, Brian Sandle
<exti079 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes
>To what extent do the sounds of audio integration training act to
>free up glue ear or other middle ear trouble? What level of sound
>will do that, and what dose?
>
>Shouldn't such things as wearing a balaclava at night be tried first,
>as well as good nutrition/biochemical environment?
>
>If a tester says a 36 year old's hearing is aged as if he were in
>his 50s how is he distinguishing between aging and the use of noisy
>machinery/attendance at loud music? How does this affect the
>training procedure/result?
>
>I am a little suspicious of this trainer since previously I have been
>told that AIT only works on the processing of the information.
>
>Brian Sandle

Dear Brian,

AIT does not cure glue ear. No level of sound can do that. Any person
considering AIT is advised not to be treated until the glue ear is
cured. It sounds as if the person in question needs a reliable diagnosis
before considering what treatment is indicated.

Let me know if you want more information.

--
L&S