Pediatric Hearing Aid Fittings

dybala at utdallas.edu dybala at utdallas.edu
Mon Nov 4 16:06:54 EST 1996

I agree with Jeff,

in addtion you have to consider the capabilites for DAI so that
the child can use FM systems with thier own hearing aid.

Giving that child the best possible signal to noise ratios
is critical and this is why FM systems are used.

To put the child in an ITE would not allow them to use and FM system
with the aid.

Also if the child ever loses and aid a loaner can be easily reissued
and hooked up to the child's earmold. Otherwise it is a week or
two w/o amplification before it is back from repair recase.

Paul Dybala
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dybala

Jeffrey Sirianni (audioman at HCTC.NET) wrote:
> very young child (under 12 years old), the shell fitting will become too
> small very quickly as they age.
  Are the parents and/or the insurance company
> willing to pay for re-fittings of
 the shell every year?  In addtion, children
> tend to be rough on hearing aids
and any ITE I can think of cannot handle
> that type of use without being in repair every month.

> My advice, stick to a mini-BTE, if size is a concern....

> --
> * Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
> * Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
> * 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
> * Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
> * (210) 896-1433                       *
> * (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *
> * audioman at hctc.net                     *
Thank you for your support,
Paul Dybala
dybala at utdallas.edu