problem with earmolds

Kate Johnston Kate at ricochet.net
Wed May 29 19:03:06 EST 1996

I have a question as a hearing aid user.

I have been wearing hearing aids for nearly 40 years, most of that
time with BTE aids.

For the past twenty or so years, I have been experiencing problems
with ear molds.  My last pair of ear molds I kept using for two years
beyond the time my audiologist suggested I get new ones because I
didn't want to go through these problems again.

That last set of ear molds had to be shaved and buffed a total of nine
times over a period of about nine months before I was comfortable
enough with them to be able to live with them.

I've had my current set of ear molds about three months now, and have
now gone back to my audiologist at least 11 times or maybe 12 times.
Each time, she looks at my outer ears, and says the sores have moved
to a different spot, so she has succeeded in fixing the last problem.

I have been to dermtologists and to ENTs and they just say that I have
sensitive ears.

If my hearing wasn't helped so much with my hearing aids, I would give
up hearing aids right now!  As it is, I'm getting strongly tempted to
give up hearing aids just to eliminate the pain in my ears.

The last pair was lucite.  The current pair is lucite with the
silicone canal.  Most of the problems have been pressure sures where
the lucite is pressing against my ears.  My audiologist is reluctant
to get me silicone molds, but I don't remember exactly her reasoning.
She doesn't know exactly what to do to help me, just wants me to keep
coming in for more buffing; we are both afraid that to get new molds
will just start the whole process all over again.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Kate Johnston
kate at ricochet.net